Vice president, software engineering
The VP, software engineering manages a diverse team of developers, quality assurance engineers, DevOps, and more. In this role, the VP, software engineering leads the team by setting priorities and goals, ensures the achievement of deliverables and other milestones, collaborates with other departments such as product or client services, and improves departmental policies and standards.
A successful candidate will have prior organizational leadership experience. They should be able to connect with their team on a technological level and have an excellent foundation in software design. The VP, software engineering must be a responsible, driven, team-oriented, well organized individual with strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to handle multiple concurrent projects and tasks while adapting quickly to changing priorities.
They should be passionate about growing people and the Company. Setting your team and peers up for success through collaboration and feedback should be important. You should be excited by complex problems and try to solve them rapidly with practical, well-engineered solutions.
- Lead the Technology team through management and mentorship in accordance with the Company’s policies, procedures, and overall vision
- Recommend technological developments and improvements
- Interact with key business partners to recommend solutions that best meet the strategic needs of the business
- Partner with product management and client delivery teams to align and prioritize current and future development initiatives in support of our business objectives
- Lead recruitment activities in partnership with Human Resources
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met
- Manage project planning, including allocation of resources, assignment and coordination
- Work with cross functional teams to plan and execute large scale projects
- Partner with Finance for ongoing management of budgets and resources
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar; Master’s a plus
- 10+ years of technical experience with 5+ in a management capacity
- Experience managing a diverse cross-functional team with different skill levels across multiple job locations
- Strong organizational leadership skills
- Extensive experience in hiring talented people for diverse, productive development teams
- Expert level knowledge and experience in software design and best practices in developing customer-orientated platforms, preferably in the context of SaaS applications
- Proven track record of building and managing successful software delivery teams, especially in a client-facing SaaS application development environment
- Must be knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change management
- Ability to manage multiple projects and resolve issues that impact deadlines Ability to make decisions quickly under conflicting constraints, moving rapidly to meet the demands of a fast-growing company
- Experience in system design, with knowledge of the JEE technical stack a plus Working knowledge of cloud computing platforms (such as Amazon Web Services), common development tools and secure coding practices Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a variety of internal/external customers and/or co-workers.
- Ability to exercise a high level of discretion and protect confidential business, client and personal user information
What we look for
- Outstanding listening, analytical, organizational and time management skills. Ability to dig into data, surface actionable insights and demonstrates sound decision-making skills. A problem-solver at heart
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate to technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong work ethic, hands-on, detail oriented with a customer service mentality
- Team player, self-driven, motivated and able to work under pressure
- Able to drive a project from conception to completion, not just execute on an existing plan, with impeccable multi-tasking ability. The ability to prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Results-oriented and demonstrated record of developing initiatives that impact productivity
- Proactive and solutions-oriented with experience working in ambiguity
- Ability to interact and speak to clients or investors about complex technology
This position is based in our Dover, NH office, but will work closely with colleagues in all of Athenium’s physical and remote business locations.
This position is full time.
About Athenium Analytics
Athenium Analytics is an insurtech SaaS company that uses historical data and predictive analytics to help insurance carriers & other organizations measure and manage quality and risk. Our web-based tools, specializing in quality assurance and risk management, are trusted by global, national and regional insurers. While insurance is our primary industry vertical, we also develop solutions for the U.S. Intelligence Community. Leveraging big data, cutting-edge artificial intelligence and market-driven insights, our products help organizational leadership identify and understand risk to make smart decisions faster.