Athenium Analytics is seeking a talented, tech-savvy, and self-motivated meteorologist who can manipulate data and develop algorithms in a fast-paced environment to produce multiple weather-based products that bring extraordinary value to the organization.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will:
- Play a critical role on the science team, which is responsible for the development, maintenance and integration of weather, climate and other data into solutions that meet the needs of Athenium Analytics customers
- Maintain and enhance automated, real-time model and product software systems
- Develop new algorithms that build on current capabilities and add to Athenium Analytics’ intellectual assets
- Access and manipulate global, regional and unstructured data sets including, but not limited to, those produced by NOAA
- Develop computer programs to access and manipulate weather data to create client deliverables.
- Work with other Athenium Analytics staff including data scientists, systems engineers, product developers and business developers
- Master’s degree (PhD an extra) in meteorology/atmospheric science
- Significant programming experience in the any of the following languages: Python (preferred), Fortran, IDL, UNIX shell scripting, Java, and C/C++
- Experience managing and manipulating meteorological data files, such as GRIB, netCDF, Binary, and HDF5.
- Experience with Unix command line
- Experience with visualization of scientific data
- Excellent skills in communicating scientific work clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Pent-up or meaningfully leveraged intellectual curiosity about how meteorology can help accomplish the missions of defined user groups
- Able to work with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment
- Advanced computations skills, such as high-performance computing and parallel processing (e.g. MPI)
- Cloud computing experience (Amazon Web Services is a plus)
- Experience with GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Experience with database access or administration
- We offer an extremely competitive salary and benefits package
This role will be based on Dover, NH or Washington, DC.