Quality control meteorologist
Athenium Analytics is seeking a talented, tech-savvy and self-motivated meteorologist who can manipulate data and develop algorithms in a fast-paced environment to quality control weather-based products that bring extraordinary value to the organization.
Athenium Analytics has a team-based culture where we work hard and have fun while doing it. We seek to add team members who have the ability to work well in a collaborative environment and can demonstrate critical thinking skills and present and explain complex ideas to the group. Open communication and working well with others are hugely valuable.
The successful candidate will:
- Play a critical role on the science team, which is responsible for the development, maintenance and integration of weather, climate and other data into solutions that meet the needs of Athenium Analytics customers
- Take ownership of maintaining and ensuring the highest quality of data for our online weather database that contains over 250 historical and forecast variables
- Decode raw data and develop statistical techniques of algorithm verification for QA/QC of surface observations
- Have familiarization with historical weather data analysis techniques, including metadata analysis, breakpoint identification and homogenization
- Verify data sources that feed into our historical weather database
- Develop new algorithms that serve to quality control current capabilities and weather datasets and add to Athenium Analytics’ intellectual assets
- Access and manipulate global, regional and unstructured data sets including, but not limited to, those produced by NOAA
- Work with other Athenium Analytics staff including data scientists, systems engineers, product developers and business developers
- Master’s degree or PhD in meteorology/atmospheric science, or applied mathematics/statistics with significant weather data experience
- Significant programming experience in the any of the following languages: Python (preferred), Fortran, IDL, UNIX shell scripting, Java, and C/C++
- 2 years+ experience with Unix command line
- Experience managing and manipulating meteorological data files, such as GRIB, netCDF, Binary, and HDF5
- Experience with visualization of scientific data
- Excellent skills in communicating scientific work clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Attention to detail and a desire to dig to into meteorological datasets
- Able to work with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment
- Advanced computations skills, such as high-performance computing and parallel processing (e.g. MPI)
- Cloud computing experience (Amazon Web Services is a plus)
- Experience with database access or administration
What we look for
- Outstanding listening, analytical, organizational and time management skills. Ability to dig into data, surface actionable insights and demonstrates sound decision-making skills. A problem-solver at heart.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, while meeting team deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Demonstrates a high level of diplomacy
- Strong work ethic, hands-on, detail oriented with a customer service mentality
- Team player, ability to work cross-functionally, self-driven, motivated, and able to work under pressure
- Sense of humor, personality, and enthusiasm!
- This full time role will be located in Dover N.H. or Washington D.C.
- Remote candidates will be considered as well.
About Athenium Analytics
Athenium Analytics is an insurtech SaaS company that uses historical data and predictive analytics to help insurance carriers & other organizations measure and manage quality and risk. Our web-based tools, specializing in quality assurance and risk management, are trusted by global, national and regional insurers. While insurance is our primary industry vertical, we also develop solutions for the U.S. Intelligence Community. Leveraging big data, cutting-edge artificial intelligence and market-driven insights, our products help organizational leadership identify and understand risk to make smart decisions faster.