Athenium Analytics is seeking a talented, tech-savvy, and self-motivated Operational Meteorologist who wants to break into the world of applied forecast operations to create and disseminate specialized weather forecasts that our clients need to enhance their operations.
Athenium Analytics has a team-based culture where we work hard and have fun while doing it. We seek to add team members who have the ability to work well in a collaborative environment and can demonstrate critical thinking skills and present and explain complex ideas to the group. Open communication and working well with others is of great value to us.
- Play a critical role on the Operational Meteorology team, which is responsible for interpreting the Athenium Analytics proprietary forecast solutions and disseminating weather forecasts
- Monitor automated forecast portals and communicate with the technical meteorology team if any problems arise
- Understand and be familiar with weather products derived from global, regional and unstructured meteorological data sets including, but not limited to, those produced by NOAA
- Work with other Athenium Analytics staff to deliver daily, reliable, and mission-centric briefings and monitoring for federal customers.
- Work rotating shifts with others on the operational meteorology team, including nights, weekends and holidays, on a 40-hour work-week schedule
- Provide on-call support to customers during and ahead of critical weather events
- Have a desire to improve forecast processes for our customers, including conceptualizing new algorithms and products to add further value to our current offerings
- Possess a drive to expand technical abilities, through cross-training opportunities with, but not necessarily limited to, our technical meteorology and science teams
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s a plus) in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science
- Ability to work with a web-based proprietary forecast portal and other web sources of weather forecast information
- Able to construct detailed, daily meteorological forecasts which can be consumed by non-meteorologists
- Excellent skills in communicating weather forecasts clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Intellectual curiosity about how meteorology can help accomplish the missions of defined user groups
- Able to work with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment
- Has experience with Microsoft Office suite and remote presentation options including Microsoft Teams and Zoom
- Possess skills to perform tasks under routine time constraints and the stress of high-impact natural hazards
- The ideal candidate will be reliable, skilled, hard-working, and independent
- 3-5 years of forecast experience, with expertise in tropical meteorology preferred
- Experience with GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Python, cloud computing and/or Linux/Unix command line experience strongly preferred but not required
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
What we look for
- Outstanding listening, analytical, organizational and time management skills. Ability to dig into data, surface actionable insights and demonstrates sound decision-making skills. A problem-solver at heart
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, while meeting team deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Demonstrates a high level of diplomacy
- Strong work ethic, hands-on, detail oriented with a customer service mentality
- Team player, ability to work cross-functionally, self-driven, motivated, and able to work under pressure
- Sense of humor, personality, and enthusiasm!
This job will be located at Athenium Analytics’ Dover, N.H. office, or fully remote. Remote candidates must reside in the United States.
About Athenium Analytics
Athenium Analytics is an insurtech SaaS company that uses historical data and predictive analytics to help insurance carriers & other organizations measure and manage quality and risk. Our web-based tools, specializing in quality assurance and risk management, are trusted by global, national and regional insurers. While insurance is our primary industry vertical, we also develop solutions for the U.S. Intelligence Community. Leveraging big data, cutting-edge artificial intelligence and market-driven insights, our products help organizational leadership identify and understand risk to make smart decisions faster. Learn more at: https://www.athenium.com