Athenium Analytics is seeking a talented and tech savvy Computational Wildfire Scientist to assist the Data Science that can manipulate data, develop algorithms, and develop and run wildfire models to help serve a number of commercial and government clients.
Athenium Analytics has a team-based culture where we work hard and have fun while doing it. We seek to add team members who have the ability to work well in a collaborative environment and can demonstrate critical thinking skills and present and explain complex ideas to the group. Open communication and working well with others is of great value to us.
Roles & Responsibilities:
General Day to Day: The successful candidate will…
- Play a critical role on the Earth Sciences team, which is responsible for the development, maintenance and integration of natural hazard, weather and other data into solutions that meet the needs of Athenium Analytics customers
- Lead wildfire risk assessment efforts, incorporating governmental and proprietary data sources
- Develop new algorithms that build on current capabilities and add to Athenium Analytics’ intellectual assets
- Access and manipulate global, regional and unstructured data sets including, but not limited to, those produced by USFS and USGS
- Work with other Athenium Analytics staff including data scientists, systems engineers, product developers and business developers
- Graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) in wildfire science, forestry, resource management, or related discipline
- Significant programming experience in the any of the following languages: Python (preferred), MATLAB, FORTRAN, IDL, UNIX shell scripting, and C/C++
- Demonstrated expertise in the science of wildfires and knowledge of existing wildfire models
- Experience working with geospatial data using GIS tools
- Excellent skills in communicating scientific work
What We Look For:
- Outstanding listening, analytical, organizational and time management skills. Ability to dig into data, surface actionable insights and demonstrates sound decision-making skills. A problem-solver at heart.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, while meeting team deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Demonstrates a high level of diplomacy.
- Strong work ethic, hands-on, detail oriented with a customer service mentality.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies (Amazon Web Services experience is a plus)
- Knowledge of machine learning technologies (artificial neural networks, classification/decision trees, clustering algorithms, support vector machines)
- Experience with standard database technologies (e.g., PostgreSQL, PostGIS)
- Team player, ability to work cross-functionally, self-driven, motivated, and able to work under pressure
- Sense of humor, personality, and enthusiasm!
This full-time position will be based in Dover, NH.